Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Author of the Week -- Andrea Smith


Interview with Andrea  
 
 
1. When did you first start writing and when did you finish your first book?
I starting writing an historical romance novel back in the 1980's. I was smitten with reading anything Kathleen Woodiwiss wrote, so I guess she was my inspiration. I only got a few chapters into it and then real life consumed me for the next thirty years! In the summer of 2012, I found myself unemployed and anxious to do something different. I got on my laptop and about six weeks later, I had finished an 844 page novel titled Maybe Baby.

2. Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?
I have several favorite authors. I suppose the late Kathleen Woodiwiss was my greatest inspiration. I loved how she developed her characters and the descriptive details she included in her historical romances. Her heroes gave me butterflies with their "alpha-ness" and their "throbbing manhoods" (LOL). Current authors whose work I enjoy are Emma Chase, Shay Savage, C.D. Reiss, and Amber Nation to name just a few!

3. What do you do when you are not writing? Do you have a day job as well?
I pretty much devote my time to writing, reading and social networking in order to market my books. I love interacting with readers and authors.

4. Have you written a book you love that you have not been able to get published?
Now that self-publishing is an option, I really can't say that I've written a book that hasn't been published.

5. Who is your favorite character(s) in any of your works?
I have a special place in my heart for Trey Sinclair, from my first series, Baby Lite. He was my first creation and I wrote him as a guy that had all of the qualities and attributes that I found sexy and appealing. **sigh**

6. What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author? What has been the best compliment?
As an author starting out, it's difficult to hear negative things about your creation, and not take it personally. I found myself constantly wanting to modify my books so that I pleased EVERY reader. It's not possible. I think the toughest criticism is when a reader says they DNF'd one of my books. As a writer, your minimum expectation is that your book holds the reader's interest until the very end. I mean, it may not be a great piece of classic literature, but at the very least, you want it to be entertaining enough that they finish it. The best compliment I've received as an author would have to be the many friends and supporters I have on GR and FB, who constantly keep in touch and spread the word to others about my books, leave wonderful reviews and are genuinely invested in the characters that I write.

7. Do you have any writing quirks? (like, having to clean the room before you write).
My cat's the one with the quirk. He absolutely has to lay up against the keyboard on my laptop while I'm tapping away on a story. He evidently likes the heat it generates - my computer - not the story LOL!

8. What would be your best achievement to date?
As far as writing achievements - I would have to say that publishing 8 books in 18 months is something I never imagined happening! The fact that the G-Man Series books have hit the Amazon's Best Sellers listing several times has really made me proud. Oh, and also, the fact that one of my characters from that series, Taz Matthews, was voted as a Best Book Boyfriend for the Chicago Author's Event is so fantastic!!

Now some fun questions…..

1. How many pairs of shoes do you own?
I would estimate around thirty.

2. What’s your favorite song?
Anything by Adele!!

3. Have you ever fallen for a character?
Yes!! Trey Sinclair. . . **yummy**

4. Who’s the sexiest character you’ve ever written?
I would say Easton Matthews was pretty darn sexy….

5. What’s your favorite saying?
"The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any."
— Alice Walker, author of "The Color Purple"

6. Do you sing in the shower?
God, no!

7. Do you have any superstitions?
Friday the 13th - Just like Darcy!!

8. Do you live by any motto or philosophy?
As I look at all of the talented young Indie authors right now, many that are half my age, I sometimes feel that having gotten started so late in life with my first book, might impede my ability to relate to the target readers of the more youthful generations. Then I came across this quote, and it helped to put things into perspective for me:

"Aging is not 'lost youth' but a new stage of opportunity and strength."
— Betty Friedan, author of "The Feminine Mystique"

Last but not least…..

Do you have any advice to give to aspiring writers?
Never lose sight of your dreams no matter how much real life gets in the way. If you have a story to tell, then tell it as only you know how, because it's yours to tell! AND: Never, ever let anyone else suck the air out of your happy balloon!!!
 
 Here's Andrea's third book Be My Baby 
 
 
Synopsis:
 
 Be My Baby Lite’ is the third installment in the 'Baby Series Lite'. It’s the continuation of Trey and Tylar Sinclair's poignant story of love and passion.

It has been a mostly bumpy road thus far, but they have always managed to find the strength they needed in each other… however, their relationship will soon be put to the ultimate test.

Trey and Tylar will discover that there are those who are willing to destroy the loving relationship they have by death or at the very least, infidelity. Their love and commitment to each other is put to a tragic test. Will they be able to survive the unexpected hardship that befalls them? Will the strength of their love, the depth of their commitment to each other and the ability to forgive draw them ever closer or break them apart forever?

This book is intended for mature audiences. 
 
Links to buy:  
***Please note: Book is on sale for $ 0.99 on Amazon ONLY***
 


 
 
 
On Sunday make sure to check our Facebook page  
will be giving away a $5.00 gift card and your choice of the complete Baby Series or the G-Man Series.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment