Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Author Spotlight: L.B. Simmons


Meet L.B. Simmons

L.B. Simmons is a graduate of Texas A&M University

and holds a degree in Biomedical Science. She has been a practicing Chemist for the last eleven years. When she is not in her lab coat while juggling tubes and beakers, she lives a cozy life with her husband and three daughters in Texas. Always a writer at heart, never did L.B. ever imagine one day her books would rocket and land her on a USA Today Bestseller list. No matter how crazy her life is, she always finds the moment to write every chance she gets.

Contact L.B.

Get to Know L.B. Simmons

1. How do you come up with a title and character names? 
Usually I try to work the title in a way that it can have multiple meanings in regards to the difference facets of the book. For example, in Running on Empty the heroine runs of out gas, but also is the single mother of three little girls and after losing her husband, isn’t really living her life. I try to make the titles appealing and not so obvious. Regarding characters names’, I try to pick them as I find they fit with the character’s personality. Raven for example in The Resurrection of Aubrey Miller is the darker side of Aubrey’s personality, whereas Aubrey is when she finally allows herself to find her way back to the person she once was. 

 2. Where do you get your inspiration when it comes to storylines? 
My storylines just hit me, really. I may have an idea, then it won’t leave head until I think it through and it becomes a full-fledged storyline. By that time, the characters take over and speak to me non-stop as I write their story. It’s an interesting process to me, and after I finish the books, it’s always hard for me to say goodbye to the people who have been in my head non-stop. It’s like saying goodbye to a friend. 

3. What topics you would not write about, what topic you would like to write about that you haven't yet?
 There’s really nothing I won’t write about, as long as it’s something the character can grow from and heal. Most of my stories tend to work that way. Their about healing. But I don’t have A LOT of sex in them, because my stories don’t center around their sexual life. Their more emotional romances. So, I guess that being said, I probably won’t ever be able to right erotica because sex scenes and me are just awkward together. LOL! I would love to write paranormal, to create a new world and be able to make my own rules. That being said, my head might explode from all the possibilities. I really do admire paranormal authors. 

 4. How do you handle negative feedback (reviews)? 
Do you ever want to write back to that person, what stops you? Ah, the dreaded negative reviews. They’re not easy for me to read because when I release a book, the characters are like my children and I tend to get all Mama Bear when people attack them. There are different bad reviews though, some can actually be constructive, where the reviewer communicates ways in which the author can grow. Those I actually enjoy. But then there are ones that are just plain non-constructive and mean just for the sake of being mean, and those frustrate me. Would I ever write to the reviewer and complain? No. Every person is entitled to his or her opinion. I respect that.

 5. If you had to choose, what writer would you consider an inspiration/mentor? 
There are so many amazing authors out there, but I really admire those who paved the way for independent publishing. Jamie McGuire, Colleen Hoover, Tamara Webber and Abbi Glines led the way and gave other indie authors such as myself the ability to find success in a virtually unknown world at the time when they began publishing

 6. How do you get your books to the general public, how difficult is it to market your work and have it recognized? 
It’s definitely not easy. The market is saturated with new releases every day. Mainly, I try to promote my teasers and interact with my readers regularly to get them excited about any upcoming releases. 

On to Other Topics


1. Favorite comfort food?
 Nachos! Nom nom nom 

2. What do you do to relax when you're not writing? 
Binge read. LOL! I am an avid reader and love getting lost in a good book. 

3. What is the biggest lie you've ever told? 
When I was in college, I used to come back home every weekend to see my boyfriend. I never told my parents. LOL! Ah, young love. 

4. Where is one place you want to visit that you haven't been before? 
Costa Rica. I want to see beautiful crystal clear blue water someday. 

 5. If you had a superpower, what would it be? 
Duplicating myself. There are just not enough hours in the day to do what I want to do. Although with my luck, I would be coming a living version of Multiplicity. LOL!


Books by L.B. Simmons

Mending Heart Series

Running on Empty
Book 1
I had the perfect life.

Beautiful and loving husband.Three gorgeous little girls.
Successful career.

The only thing missing was the white picket fence. I really wanted that fence.

Three years ago, I lost that life. I lost my husband. And I lost myself. But, eventually, I found my way through the darkness. I’ve made peace with my new life. I have my girls, and that’s all that matters. They are my world. I have no illusions of ever falling in love again or getting whisked away on a white horse.

But then he came back into my life. On a freakin’ motorcycle.

There’s no way I’ll let him turn my life completely upside down. Absolutely no way.

The question is…

How long can I keep pretending that I’m happy with my life being right-side up?


Recovery
Book 1.5
 I have the perfect life.

I’ve finally found my happy ending.

I fought through the loss of one husband, lucky enough to be given a second chance at a lifetime of happiness. Settling into our new lives, however, may not be as easy as it seems.

What really happens after the fairytale ending? What happens after the prince rescues the princess? After he sweeps her off her feet and carries her off into the sunset? Do they truly live happily ever after?

Well…

This is our story.


Running in Place
Book 2
****NA Contemporary Romance, can be read as a stand alone. Due to theme of Child Abuse, Explicit Language, Mild Violence, and Sexual Situations - Recommend Readers 18+******

Tatum O’Connell:
Some call me a party girl. People see me as happy, full of life, with absolutely no cares in the world. They see what I want them to see. But no one knows me - really knows me. Not even Noah Reese. Mr. Perfect is always watching me, most likely judging every single imperfect thing I do. But, if Noah wants to keep an eye on me, that’s just fine. I definitely don’t mind. I just hope he doesn’t have any plans to save me from my new-found life of self-destruction because in order to save me, he will have to see me…
And I’m never going to let that happen.

Noah Reese:
Perfect. That’s me. That’s the only acceptable way to be, according to my father. Perfect grades. Perfect manners. Perfect athlete. Perfect SAT scores. Perfect college. And recently, I was accepted into the perfect med school. My future has already been mapped out for me and there’s nothing that can change that. Not even Tatum O’Connell. That girl is out of control, yet for some reason, I can’t seem to keep my distance from her. I watch her closely, hoping that one day she’ll let me in, but watching her lead her life down the dangerous path she’s on right now isn’t easy…
I have a feeling I’m about to find myself swept away by the hurricane that is Tatum O’Connell.

“Two fleeting souls,
Unknowingly tethered.
Too slowly drawn,
Impatient fate calls.
The jolting collide intertwines their lives
And splinters their walls.”
“Catalyst” – Noah Reese




The Resurrection of Aubrey Miller
 Death.

For some, it's simply one of life's certainties, nothing more. For others, it's merely a fleeting thought, one often overshadowed by the reckless delusion that they have been blessed with the gift of immortality.

For Aubrey Miller, death is the definition of her very existence. Overcome with the guilt resulting from the loss of her beloved family, she alters her appearance from the once beautiful, blonde-haired, blue-eyed little girl to that of one shrouded in complete darkness, enveloping herself in her own unbreakable fortress of solitude as a form of protection for others.

As she enters her first year of college, her goal is simple: Earn a degree with the least amount of social interaction as possible. What she never anticipates is the formation of very unlikely relationships with two people who will change her life in ways she never believed possible: Quinn Matthews, the boisterous former pageant queen, and Kaeleb McMadden, a childhood friend from her past who never really let her go.

Over the years, as their connections intertwine and grow, a seemingly indestructible bond is formed between the three...

But when death painfully reemerges, Aubrey is lost once again, burying herself deeper than ever before inside the familiar fortification of her fears.

Will the refuge of friendship, the solidarity of life-long bonds, and the power of unconditional love be enough to do the impossible?

Will they be enough to finally bring about...

The Resurrection of Aubrey Miller?

****Standalone NA Contemporary Romance/HEA****

****WARNING - Due to the graphic nature of some scenes, this book is intended for mature audiences only. Contains adult language and themes.****


 



Under the Influence
Dalton,

I loved you once. A love I thought irrevocable. A love I mistakenly believed could transcend both time and circumstance. Under the influence of my dimwitted, naïve, traitorous heart, I became intoxicated with what I now know was simply a figment of my self-indulgent imagination. So drunk on the feeling, I couldn’t see what was right in front of my face. So foolishly enamored, I blindly followed my heart into the depths of an emotion that would ravage me.

Years later, I know now what I wish I knew then. I am stronger. Smarter. Tougher. I will not allow myself to be broken again.

I loved you.

I raged for you.

I wept for you.

And now, I’m letting you go.

Author’s Note: Under the Influence is the journey of two childhood friends that spans the course of five pivotal years in their lives. It is a story about their discovery of true friendship as it blossoms into first love, their experience of crucial sacrifice and ultimate betrayal, and their endurance of agonizing heartbreak on the way to finding lasting redemption.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment